Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chia: Powder vs. Seed

In the past I've always bought Chia Seed (a former roommate turned me onto the oatmeal alternative). Living in New York City, I thankfully have little trouble obtaining health foods + there is no shortage of healthy restaurants/juice bars.

As I mentioned I've replaced oatmeal with a chia pudding I make every morning that takes literally a few mins--not as much hassle as oatmeal. Oatmeal is great but it somethings robs me of energy--maybe I'm hallucinating, but that is how I feel. It shouldn't be discounted; Oatmeal is chalk full of nutrients--IF you eat rolled oats, no sugar added. Low in fat, oatmeal can be an ideal breakfast staple, however you must beware of additives.

Chia POWDER is even better for you than SEEDS. I was recently informed that any seed that has been germinated (made into a powder) is easier for your body to absorb nutrients. This is also true for flax seeds/flax powder. 

"Inherently full of healthy omega fats, protein, antioxidants and dietary fiber, the small chia seed’s nutrition is even more enhanced by the process of sprouting. This germination of the seeds increases the nutritional profile and enzyme content, and allows the food becomes more easily digested and assimilated within the body."


Buy Chia Powder at your local health store OR here: 
http://www.navitasnaturals.com/products/chia/chia-powder.html


Can easily be added to your morning oatmeal or yogurt. Vegan, kosher, raw, gluten-free. 


Personally, I mix:
- 3 tbsp of Chia Powder with
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened Almond Mylk
-Add cinnamon 


+ mix for a few seconds. Let stand for 10 minutes. Feel free to add a sweetener if you taste doesn't appeal to you--like raw honey, or agave nectar if you're vegan. 
Add berries for added fiber and antioxidants (blueberries are best!) 
If you're not feeling the texture, adding a little bit of water or more Almond mylk (or hemp, soy, rice) and stir again.  
I honestly am GENUINELY full after I ingest this for hours. 


Enjoy and please SHARE your thoughts on Chia. 


CH-ch-ch-CHIA

10 comments:

  1. oatmeal robs me of energy too! I'm def going to try this Chia stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. What of steel-cut oats? I've read that they are quite healthful, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steel-cut oats are good for you! Chia is a RAW alternative to the traditional breakfast option.

    However, I have had amazing raw oatmeal before. I've made it--I'll be sure to share the recipe soon.

    Chia has a very different texture than oatmeal. If you're a fan of tapioca, I'd suggest you try chia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a bag of powdered Chia and unsure of how to eat it, or rather reluctant to try it. Now, will try it with yogurt, berries, milk and cinnamon. There was one major component missing in this post on Chia: What does it taste like? Palatable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a similar consistency to tapioca pudding. I enjoy it but to each his own, right?

      Delete
  5. Have you ever tried adding 3 TBSP Chia powder to steel cut oatmeal and then cooking in almond milk? I always add a TBSP of raw honey as well, and I sometimes add berries, or sliced apple, etc. It's extremely filling, has a lot of fiber and makes for a very healthy breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put 1 1/2 tsps in my morning smoothies. Will have to try the Chia pudding. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Germinated" does NOT mean "powdered" - it means "sprouted". Germinated Chia Seed Powder is chia seeds that have been allowed to sprout and are then dried and ground to powder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In stock products can be shipped out within 3-5 business days upon receipt of customers' purchase order. Chia Seed Powder

    ReplyDelete